Sunday, 3 March 2013

Reflection on Prensky's ideas

What is your belief and understanding of the nature of today's learners? Do they really "demand" technology in the classroom?


Wow! It has been so interesting and amazing for last one week going through so many eye opening articles. I am a Mathematics tutor for last three years. I came across many different kinds of students, I mean the way each student learns. With each individual student (as it is One on One session), I had to change my tactics of teaching or coaching. Some students wanted Step by Step way of solving whereas others just wanted to jump to the solution without putting efforts on each step. It has been easy for me to follow Steps as I have been doing that so far. On the other hand, it has been challenging with the students who are not in favor of following steps. 
I never analysed in detail about each learner. My aim has been to clear the basic concepts.As Learning style is an individual's natural or habitual pattern of acquiring and processing information in learning situations. And I have to mold myself for individual learner.
Well above was a scenario where I have only ONE student, which is going to change once I get into a class of 25 or more students. Each one will have their own learning style and I have to cater to each individual.
Having a background in Information Technology, I have a strong feeling that use of technology would definitely elevate the learning of today's learner. At the same time, I need to concentrate on making their base strong on which they are going to build pillars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment